Saturday, October 3, 2009

Angels in the Forest

Kyla and Lucy went on a picnic with Grandma Zo and Papa to Middle Canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains during the fall to collect leaves.  We found a great picnic site about half way up the canyon.   Papa, Mom and I set to work building a fire and cooking hot dogs.  Meanwhile Grandma Zo trucked up a fairly steep path with the girls in search of the richest, most vibrantly colored leaves.  Which, according to her, could only be found at the heart of the forest.  With bags in hand the girls joyfully frolicked ankle-deep in the fallen leaves after Grandma.  Much time passed and not a sound could be heard from the threesome.  I ventured up the path to inform them that lunch was ready (and to make sure no one was mortally wounded).  Although we had teased Grandma Zo about her journey to find the "heart of the forest," I was truly impressed by the beauty of my new surroundings.  The path upward had led me into a little cove that sat upon a bluff blanketed with autumn scarlet, gold and maple.  It was beautiful.  It was as if the girls were in heaven surrounded by clouds of color and light.  I lingered quite a while as I helped them collect a bounty harvest of leaves.  My pains of hunger quickly forgot as nature's splendor nourished my soul.  For the girls it was a fun adventure with grandma.  For me, it was a window to the love of god.      

No comments:

Post a Comment