Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Last Duel

For my birthday this year I asked for tickets to go see the BYU v. Utah at Lavell Edwards Stadium. By the time I decided this tickets were already sold out, so I went online and found a pair of tickets being scalped. The tradeoff: I had to sit deep in the South end zone, which I later learned was BYU booster territory. I have been to many duel games before and nothing matches the intensity in the stadium when these two teams play. Since this was to be the last duel for a few years, I really wanted Janeen to come with me so she could experience the excitement of a big game like this. She was pretty nervous about going into enemy territory, but nothing prepared her for the moment she took her first step out of the tunnel and into the stadium when a loud and intimidated BYU fan stared her down and said, "This section is for BYU fans only!" Other than that instance we felt welcomed and safe during the game. That is except for every time I shouted out my enthusiasm for a play or call I took an elbow in the side from Janeen as she frantically whispered, "Shhh - you're the only one yelling, and people are looking at you with angry eyes!"

I was just warming up, because when Utah scored it's first touchdown of the evening I stood and sang Utah Man at the top of my lungs. It was an ominously silent rendition.  After only the first verse I heard someone shouting my name. Upon looking in that direction I saw a face of a man I didn't recognize. However, sitting next to him I soon saw a face I did recognize, my co-worker Carollee Tautkus! She is a true blue Cougar fan and was apparently too ashamed to admit she new me, and only realized I was sitting near her after everyone around her complained about the Ute fan singing so awfully. So, she had her cousin shout my name to get my attention. Small world! The following work-week I went into the principal's office and found a photo or me and her I took during the game and had posted to Facebook printed out in large-scale and mounted to the wall.
 

Janeen and I had a great time and might have to make this a tradition when the rivalry continues in 2016! 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment