Ruby came to me today carrying her piggy bank and said, "Daddy, I have a lot of money, can I buy the cow app?" I couldn't say no to such a cute request, plus she wanted to pay for it with her own money; who am I to deny her right to engage in capitalism?
I had her go get my iPad and asked her to show me the app she wanted (I assumed she had either seen the app on a TV commercial or, more likely, it was an in-app advertisement). Instead of navigating to some free kiddie app we already had installed, which I thought might contain a link to the mysterious cow app, she instead said, "Where is it?" Maybe it was a featured app she had seen on the first page of the app store? So, I had her look there. She handed the iPad back to me and said, "I can't find it."
At this point my only option was to appeal to the nine-year-old. "Lucy" I cried from across the hall, "do you know what cow app Ruby is talking about?" Always ready with an answer, whether factual or not, Lucy immediately replied, "I think she wants Hey Day."By now I was sure I had found the app, and was ready to hit the download button when Ruby inquired, "Is that the one where the cow disappears?" I could tell without further investigation that the Hey Day app did not contain any disappearing cows. I was perplexed, and decided to probe Ruby a bit further.
"Ruby, where exactly did you see this app?" I calmly asked. "It was in my dream dad." replied Ruby. Fearing I had misheard heard I followed up with a question, "Your dream?" Without so much as batting an eye Ruby said, "Yes, I was sleeping and I saw it in my dream, and when I woked up I remembered it, and it was fun!"My initial gut reaction was to tell her that apps we see in our dream don't exist. But then I thought, what the heck, it's worth a look. So I searched for an app using the key words, "disappearing cow" and this is what I found: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-the-invisible-cow/id784908015?mt=8
Ruby loved the game, and if you want some cheap thrills tonight download the app - it's free and good for a few laughs. I never asked Ruby if this was indeed the app from her dreams, because I already knew the answer. Thank you Apple for making my three-year-old daughter's dream come true!
No comments:
Post a Comment