Friday, January 31, 2014

Harry Potter Movie Night

I love the Harry Potter Books.  Ever since my first child was in the womb I couldn't wait for the day to read the books to them.  I have started reading The Sorcerer's Stone to Lucy four times: once when she was in Kindergarten, and again in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades.  But she never got into it.  I was so discouraged, and thought maybe she would never like it.

Could it be possible, that I have a child that doesn't like Harry Potter?  The thought scared me, and made me even more determined to try again and again.  Well, this time she liked it!  A lot!  She wanted to see the movie, but I told her we couldn't watch it until we had finished the book.  So, we finished the last chapter today and decided to have a family movie night.  Here are a few of my favorite observations and quotes from the evening's showing:
  • Hailey's general observation about Hagrid while we were reading the book, "I think he really likes animals" -Hailey
  • While letters from Hogwarts are raining down on number four Privet Drive, "How did they deliver so many letters at the same time?" -Lucy
  • During the banquet when we see Snape for the first time, "Hey, he looks like my kindergarten teacher; they have the same hair!" -Hailey
Side-by-side image of Severus Snape and Mrs. Millett

  • When the music swells on platform nine and three-quarters, "I really like the music!" -Lucy (yep - she is definitely my daughter!)
  • After seeing Oliver Wood on the Quidditch pitch, "I though he was made out of wood." - Hailey
  • When Harry's broom is trying to buck him off during the first Quidditch match, "It's really Quirrell who's doing it - Snape's trying to save him." -Lucy
  • When Hagrid lets it slip about Nicholas Flamel, "Ha Ha, he talks too much!" -Lucy
  • After Hermione remembers who Nicholas Flamel is, "Daddy, are they going to find the unicorn now?" -Hailey
  • When Dumbledore gives Neville the last 10 points to win the house cup, "I just realized he looks like Avery (our niece)" -credit that last one to Janeen!
My niece Avery and Neville Longbottom
Lesson learned tonight: there are witches and wizards living among us if we look close enough!


   

1 comment:

  1. They do have the chubby cheeks in common, but Avery is far cuter, of course!

    ReplyDelete